Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Ems

It's 10 PM.  Do you know where your children are?  I can certainly account for mine.  My little nursling is wrapped around my midsection, long outgrown but not abandoned his Boppy pillow, fretting and nursing his way back to sleep.  I expect this bout of wakefulness is brought about by his ever closer to arriving seventh tooth.  Teething has not been kind to Bar and me, or any unfortunate soul who lives within earshot, and should I ever meet the Tooth Fairy in real life I expect I'd have some unkind words for her at best or, at worst, I'd punch her in the mouth and be done with it.  But, whatever the reason he has awoken, here we are, nursing, and, er, blogging in the dark both finding a kind of comfort in this now well established routine.
First, however, here is a list of things I would rather be doing.
1.  Watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I had to stop at the dramatic height of season 5, episode 10.  Bummer.
2.  Having a ciapirinha.  Because caipirinhas are yummy.
3.  Getting an aroma therapeutic massage.  
That's pretty much it.  This is an otherwise peaceful time for me knowing that, as Bar's universe gets bigger by the day and his control over it increases dramatically, touching base with me, mom, once even twice a night helps ease us both into this brave new world called toddlerhood.  Tonight for dinner, we shared a meal of pancetta, peas, and big hunks of Parmesan cheese by candlelight - even babies deserve a pleasant atmosphere for dinner.   How grown he is, I thought to myself, noting the bits of asparagus still stuck in his hair from lunch as I plucked out the newly introduced bits of his all "P" meal.  And here we are now, no fancy cheese or cured meat would satisfy his need in this moment.  Milk, momma - mmmmmmm.
It's now 10:40 PM and Bar is happily snoozing again.  And look, plenty of time left to finish Buffy.  Everybody wins.

3 comments: